2002 Model 84 Front Hub
- Loosen and remove axle end fitting by placing two 5mm hex wrenches on either side of the axle. Turning in opposite directions the end fitting will loosen (Standard right-hand threads).
- Remove axle from the hub shell by pulling on the axle opposite the threaded side. It should slide out very easy. Clean out dust and debris with a clean rag from both sides of the hub. (If you are just cleaning the hub STOP here and follow directions in reverse order to reassemble the hub.) Tighten end caps to 50 in/lbs. of torque using a drop of red Loctite 262 on the axle threads to secure the end cap. Warning! Fine pitch aluminum threads, do not over tighten!
- Remove the end caps and axle as instructed earlier in this article. Insert a flat-faced punch though one side of the hub shell bearings. Use the tip of the punch to gently push to one side the spacer tube separating the two hub body bearings.
- Use the punch and small hammer to remove the hub bearings by gently tapping against the back of the bearing ID ring on alternating sides until the bearing is worked out of the hub.
- Remove the aluminum spacer tube from the hub body.
- Remove the opposite side hub bearing as in step #2.
- Replace all bearings by pressing on the bearings' outer diameters using the appropriate sized bearing press tool (don't forget to replace the aluminum spacer).
- Insert the axle through the hub shell. Using one drop of red Loctite 262 on the end cap threads to secure the end cap. Tighten the end caps to 50 in/lbs. by inserting a 5mm hex wrench into the two end caps on opposite sides of the hub. Warning! Fine pitch aluminum threads, do not over tighten!